Welcome Message from the President of the FJCC
Welcome to the FJCC!
The FJCC is a warm and dynamic synagogue that cares for and engages the Jewish community from a broad local area. Congregants travel to us from as far as Trenton, Annandale and Princeton, New Jersey and from Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
The FJCC is a member of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, and as such, we are a fully egalitarian congregation welcoming all who are interested in becoming members of our community. Our students are members of the Young Judea youth group.
The FJCC boasts marvelous Jewish education opportunities including a Nursery School, pre-Hebrew School, Hebrew School, Hebrew High School, Bat/Bar Mitzvah training and Adult Education.
Our CENTER SERIES programming enriches the lives of our community through its cultural, art, musical offerings, and film and speaker series.
Synagogue services on Friday night are especially appealing to families with young children and our Saturday services are opportunities for thoughtful discussion of the weekly Torah reading and related current issues. Both services are followed by Oneg and Kiddush where the community can sit, eat and relax together. Minyan on Sunday morning offers a chance for further spiritual engagement, to continue the connection and have a good cup of coffee.
The twice weekly rabbi’s classes and youth group activities, the upcoming monthly interfaith conversation and regular family programming will continue to keep our synagogue humming through the week.
Please reach out to Deborah Kesselhaut in our FJCC office who can answer your questions and give you a tour.
The History of the FJCC
The history of the Flemington Jewish Community Center (FJCC) does not begin with the founding of the organization, but goes back to the early part of the twentieth century.
Beginning in 1885, hundreds of thousands of Jewish people were liberated from a life of serfdom under the Russian Tzars; and a wealthy German humanitarian, Baron Maurice de Hirsch, sponsored immigration to America. A "back to the land movement" was prevalent and many idealistic immigrants from Eastern Europe saw an opportunity in this "Land of Liberty" to fulfill their dreams of owning land. Followed soon after by many others, the first Jewish family came to rural Hunterdon County NJ in 1908.
The new Jewish settlers wanted social as well as cultural activities. Encouraged by the Federation of Jewish Farmers, which had been formed by 1913, they held meetings in farmers' homes. Soon they organized a purchasing and loan cooperative; however, this organization did not survive. The need for an organization that could bring the different groups together was most evident. On March 3, 1922, the Hebrew Citizens Congregation of Hunterdon was founded with sixteen Jewish families participating. It was primarily a religious organization and their activities focused on the observation of the high holidays.
The desire for an organization that would offer, not only religious, but cultural and social activities as well, laid the foundation for the formation of the Jewish Community Center of Flemington by a handful of farmers, local businessmen and their wives. On December 6, 1926, the congregation was founded, and on May 27, 1927, was incorporated under the laws of the State of New Jersey with the following officers and directors: Samuel Potter (President), Isaac Pesachowitz, Philip Eisenman, Joseph Berkowitz and Charles Levine. This group appeared before Judge A.O. Robbins and signed the papers of Incorporation of the Flemington Jewish Community Center. For a few more years, the congregation held services in members' homes, at the Flemington Opera House and even the Mayor's office. On June 1, 1931, the congregation purchased a small house on Park Avenue in Flemington from Max Potter. It was remodeled to serve the needs of the then existing Jewish Community, bringing to reality their desire for a religious and cultural center. For almost twenty years, the Center on Park Avenue was the scene of extensive activity on behalf of the members and neighbors. Soon, that building became too small to accommodate the increasing population. Plans were formulated for a new and larger synagogue. However, World War II necessitated postponement. The crying need of displaced Jews throughout the world forced the organization to devote all its energies to fundraising and thousands of dollars were collected. At the same time, the government's need for funds to finance the war necessitated the purchase of Defense Bonds and all building plans were temporarily abandoned. Rallies for the sale of bonds were held in the Center and thousands of dollars were raised for this purpose.
In 1947, when the war was over, renewed efforts for the new building began. On May 23, 1948, the congregation constructed and dedicated a synagogue on East Main Street in Flemington. That facility remained FJCC's home for nearly 60 years. Rabbi Maurice Idell was hired as the permanent spiritual leader. Classes in Hebrew and Yiddish were established, a Ladies' Auxiliary provided invaluable aid, a children's choir was formed and religious services highlighted Friday evenings.
Then, in 1987, the congregation engaged Rabbi Evan Jaffe as the new spiritual leader of the FJCC. He served as both Rabbi and cantor, read Torah, taught in the Hebrew School and personally prepared each student for their Bar Mitzvah. He served as the Jewish Chaplain for the Hunterdon Medical Center and the Hunterdon Developmental Center, where he worked weekly with severely disabled adult residents. The Rabbi was also involved with a number of local social service orgaizations: Hunterdon Interfaith Outreach Council, and Open ROAD (Religious Organizations Accepting Disabilities) which arranges transportation services for people with disabilities to houses of worship of their choice.
Over time, the congregation outgrew the building on Main Street and needed a more modern facility. A new synagogue building was completed in February 2006, and together with Rabbi Jaffe, the membership celebrated by marching over a mile carrying the eight Torahs under a chuppah from the old building in Flemington to the new one in Raritan Township. Under Rabbi Jaffe's leadership, the congregation commissioned the writing of their first brand new Torah. The realization of this dream was one of Rabbi Jaffe's last before his untimely passing in 2015.
The FJCC was fortunate to have Rabbi Jacob Malki as our Interim Rabbi since 2016. He was born in Egypt and in 1962, under Nasser's regime, his family emigrated, as refugees, to Italy. He was ordained in Turin in 1975, received his MS in Physics and was granted a Ph.D. scholarship to study Jewish History at the JTS. Before moving to the United States, Rabbi Malki served as pulpit Rabbi in three Italian congregations. In 1991, he became a member of the Rabbinical Assembly and for more than 20 years he served as pulpit Rabbi and Cantor in NYC, MA, PA and NJ. Over time, Rabbi Malki developed an interest in Pastoral Care. His interests also include library science and archives. He enjoys learning about world cultures and meeting people from all over the world -- he considers them his teachers. Arabic culture is part of his background, along with Italian, Israeli and American cultures. Above all, he identifies himself as a Jew.
Currently, the FJCC is led by Rabbi Eric Cohen, a dedicated Board of Trustees, staff and a host of active volunteers. The Hebrew School offers an ever expanding variety of programs and classes for our children. We are proud to host engaging speakers, holiday celebrations, social opportunities and social action programs through the CENTER SERIES. Our new home, a 23,000 square foot community center on 6 acres serves the growing membership with a 150 seat sanctuary, a small chapel, nursery school classrooms, Hebrew school classrooms, two kitchens, a bridal room and a large social hall. It is our fervent hope that for years to come the FJCC will be the scene of community-building, education and community gatherings for all Jewry and the people of Flemington.
We are so excited and proud to announce
the formation of an Interfaith Working Group!
The Flemington Jewish Community Center welcomes interfaith families without distinction and with our full support.
Interfaith families wonder how they can integrate religion into their lives when family members practice different religions. We asked new members and potential members how we could help. They indicated a desire for multifaith support, and we listened. Thus, the Interfaith Working Group was conceived. Some of the issues that have surfaced include: the needs of interfaith couples and families within the FJCC, how we can support the needs that they identify and how we can reach out to blended families in the community beyond the FJCC.
This article in the NJ Jewish News, http://njjewishnews.com/article/34994/flemington-center-welcomes-new-rabbi-reaches-out-to-multi-faith-families#.WZcKI-YrKUk, recounts Rabbi Cohen's commitment to serving the needs of interfaith families in our community.
We'd love to have your suggestions and hopefully, make ongoing support, engagement, and encouragement for our interfaith families a natural part of the FJCC. For more information, contact the FJCC office at 908-782-6410.
Born and raised in New York City, Rabbi Eric Cohen attended Ramaz Yeshiva Day School, the University of Pennsylvania, and then Yale University, where he received a Ph.D. in ancient Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations. Following graduate school, Rabbi Cohen switched fields and worked as a pharmaceutical market research consultant. During this time, he also served as President of the Park Slope Jewish Center, an egalitarian Conservative synagogue in Brooklyn, NY. After 14 years in the pharmaceutical industry, Rabbi Cohen decided to take a leave and attended the Pardes Institute in Jerusalem. It was there that he decided to become a rabbi. He enrolled in Hebrew College Rabbinical School, and received Smicha in 2012. Rabbi Cohen spent 5 years as a congregation rabbi in Manchester, NH, and also taught at the Rashi School in Dedham, MA (a Reform Jewish Day School). Rabbi Cohen has been active in creating inclusive spaces for LGBTQ Jews, exploring innovative davvening experiences, and collaborating with his interfaith clergy colleagues on social justice issues.
The Board of Trustees
The FJCC bulletin is a great resource! Use it to find out what is happening with the congregants, at the synagogue and in the community. Each monthly issue contains a moving message from the Rabbi, details about Shabbat services, Hebrew School happenings, upcoming activities and more.
Express yourself! Make the bulletin a voice of the congregants. The editorial staff entertains submissions from anyone. You are also invited to place an ad in the bulletin -- it is a great way to reach hundreds of families and households. To provide feedback about what is published and what is missing, contact the editor, Flo Newrock, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to hear from you!
To view the July-August 2017 edition of the FJCC bulletin, click the following link:
FJCC Bulletin for July-August 2017
To view the June 2017 edition of the FJCC bulletin, click the following link:
FJCC Bulletin for June 2017
To view the May 2017 edition of the FJCC bulletin, click the following link:
FJCC Bulletin for May 2017
To view the April 2017 edition of the FJCC bulletin, click the following link:
FJCC Bulletin for April 2017